Being smart about money isn’t always easy. Staying smart about money can be even more of a challenge. Omaha Public Library and other area organizations are teaming together April 20-27 to present Money Smart Week in Nebraska. Throughout the week, a variety of free classes and events will be offered to help consumers learn to manage their personal finances. All programs are open to the public, but space is limited. Register online at omahalibrary.org, or by calling the branch where you wish to attend.
Money Smart Nebraska Week is coordinated by the Nebraska Financial Education Coalition, a non-profit coalition created to help Nebraskans of all ages improve their levels of financial literacy. For more information about Money Smart Nebraska Week, visit moneysmartnebraska.org.
- Maintaining Your Credit Records: Learn how to maintain credit records, including credit file management and personal financial records.
- Saturday, April 20, 1 p.m., at Charles B. Washington Branch, 2868 Ames Ave., 402.444.4849
- Life Insurance: Review types of life insurance and benefits, and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Saturday, April 20, 2 p.m., at Saddlebrook Branch, 14850 Laurel Ave., 402.884.7473
- Saturday, April 27, 1 p.m., at Bess Johnson Elkhorn Branch, 2100 Reading Plz., 402.289.4367
- Retirement Income Planning and Social Security Strategies
- Tuesday, April 23, 2 p.m., at A.V. Sorensen Branch, 4808 Cass St., 402.444.5274
- Estate Planning: Learn more about wills and trusts, power of attorney, and living wills. Presented by Farnham & Simpson, P.C., L.L.O., and Loretta Mills from Lifetime Financial Group.
- Tuesday, April 23, 6 p.m., at W. Clarke Swanson Branch, 9101 W. Dodge Rd., 402.444.4852
- Paying for Long-Term Care: Attorney Nick Halbur will present an introduction to the options available for planning and paying for long-term care needs. Learn strategies for obtaining coverage for the high cost of care in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and in-home care services.
- Tuesday, April 23, 6:30 p.m. at Saddlebrook Branch
- Credit Scores: Jay Meneely and Loretta Mills from Lifetime Financial Group will discuss what a credit score is and what it means. Find out what impacts your credit score, why it is important, how to get and review your credit report and score, and how to correct misinformation.
- Wednesday, April 24, 3 p.m., at Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402.444.5299
- Thursday, April 25, 6:30 p.m., at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402.444.4848
- Social Security: Learn about when to take and how to maximize Social Security, as well as dependent and survivor benefits. Presented by Jay Meneely and Loretta Mills of Lifetime Financial Group.
- Wednesday, April 24, 6 p.m., at W. Clarke Swanson Branch.
- Saturday, April 27, 10:30 a.m., at Bess Johnson Elkhorn Branch
- Coupons 101: Learn how coupons can save you money, common coupon myths, and where to find the best coupons.
- Thursday, April 25, noon, at W. Dale Clark Main Library, 215 S. 15th St., 402.444.4800
- Thursday, April 25, 5:30 p.m., at South Omaha Library, 2808 Q St., 402.444.4850
- Tips & Tools for Saving Energy: There are many low-cost solutions to help you save money on your utility bills. Learn how to improve the efficiency of your home, from simple, low-cost tips to product solutions. Presented by OPPD.
- Thursday, April 25, 5:30 p.m., at Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St., 402.444.6284
- Money Smart Storytime: A guest from First National Bank will read a story to the children.
- Friday, April 26, 11 a.m., at Milton R. Abrahams Branch
Visit omahalibrary.org for more information about these and additional programs offered at Omaha Public Library’s 12 metro locations.